The Beginning

The Beginning

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Why The Summons?

So you may be wondering why I chose to use "The Summons" for a part of the title for this blog. I'm sure most of you have heard this song. It's a very popular church song. And for me just within the last few days it has had a huge impact on my own reflection on the life that I have chosen to live, the life as a Capuchin Franciscan.

1. Will you come and follow meIf I but call your name?Will you go where you don’t knowAnd never be the same?Will you let my love be shown,Will you let my name be known,Will you let my life be grownIn you and you in me?
2. Will you leave yourself behindIf I but call your name?Will you care for cruel and kindAnd never be the same?Will you risk the hostile stareShould your life attract or scare?Will you let me answer prayerIn you and you in me?
3. Will you let the blinded seeIf I but call your name?Will you set the pris’ners freeAnd never be the same?Will you kiss the leper clean,And do such as this unseen,And admit to what I meanIn you and you in me?
4. Will you love the ‘you’ you hideIf I but call your name?Will you quell the fear insideAnd never be the same?Will you use the faith you’ve foundTo reshape the world around,Through my sight and touch and soundIn you and you in me?
5. Lord, your summons echoes trueWhen you but call my name.Let me turn and follow youAnd never be the same.In your company I’ll goWhere your love and footsteps show.Thus I’ll move and live and growIn you and you in me.

For the sake of keeping it short I think over the next week or two I will kind of explain why this song has made an impact on me and what my own reflections are on it. It is truly a very powerful song and also a very challenging song. Are we willing to give up everything to follow Christ? I guess this is the very question I ask myself as I discern my own calling.

Peace and All Good Things,
Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment